ImmigrationTravel Guide

Great opportunity in the United States of America-exploring ways to obtain permanent residency

To obtain permanent residency, immigrants usually have to go through three steps. The whole process may take several years, depending on the type of immigration category and the country of birth of the immigrant.

After a certain stage in the green card trial process (application for I-485), while the case is pending, foreign citizens can obtain two permits. The first is a temporary work permit called a Work Permit Document (EAD) through which foreigners can work in the United States.

The other is a temporary travel document that will allow foreigners to re-enter the United States. The benefits of these two permits are not related to any existing status granted to foreigners. For example, a foreign citizen may have obtained a permit to work in the United States on an H-1B visa.

Immigration petition

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services will review the permanent residence immigration applications of eligible relatives, employers or applicants and decide on this matter. If siblings are applying, they must have the same parents as the applicant.

Get an immigrant visa

Unless the applicant is an “immediate family member”, an immigrant visa number must be obtained through the National Visa Center of the US Department of State (DOS). Even if the USCIS approves the application, the visa number may not be obtained immediately because the number of immigrant visas per year is limited under the quota of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Due to different countries of birth, there are also certain restrictions. Generally speaking, most immigrants will be placed on a long waiting list. Immigrants who are immediate family members of American citizens are not subject to these quotas and can proceed immediately to the next step.

Immigrant visa rewards

If there is an immigrant visa number available, the applicant must apply to USCIS to adjust their current status to permanent residence, or apply to DOS to apply for an immigrant visa at the nearest US consulate. Come to America

Adjustment status (AOS)

The application for adjustment of status is submitted to USCIS by submitting Form I-485, “Registration Application for Permanent Residence or Adjustment of Status”. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services will conduct a series of background checks and make a final decision on the application. If the application is accepted, the applicant can stay in the United States even if the initial period of stay authorized by the I-94 form has passed. However, the applicant cannot leave the country until the application is approved or rejected.

If foreign citizens must leave the United States during this period, they can apply for travel documents at USCIS by submitting Form I-131 “Request for Early Parole”. If the applicant’s work visa expires or wants to start working in the United States, while waiting for the decision on the change of status application, you can submit Form I-765 to obtain the Employment Authorization Document and be able to continue or legally start in the United States jobs. If the application is approved, the foreigner will become an LPR and mail the green card to their address.

Related Articles

Back to top button